Thread: John Fahey
View Single Post
Old 06.13.2008, 06:29 PM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, I heard most of the rest.. still haven't been able to find "memphis swamp jam"... and I heard a few tribute comps that were okay..

1979 John Fahey Visits Washington D.C.
This is fucking great!!

1980 Yes! Jesus Loves Me
So is this!

1980 Live in Tasmania
This is probably his best live album besides "On Air". Probably the best version of "Beverly" ever (on here titled "Indian Pacific Railroad Highway Blues" or something).

1996 Double 78
Haven't heard this but I think I have all the songs on other albums. It also should be noted that in 74 there was a split between Fahey, Peter Lang, and Leo Kottke that didn't have any new Fahey compositions but it was still considered a "new release". Also worth noting is Fahey Best Of Vol. 2 which are songs handpicked by Henry Kaiser with liners by Thurston Moore; it has a few songs from the still-unreleased azalea city memories and other toxic memorabilia ...

1997 The Mill Pond (Double EP)
This is insane! Nothing but weird guitar effects.. almost sounds like Stars of the Lid. This was limited to like 100 copies...

1998 Georgia Stomps, Atlanta Struts and Other Contemporary Dance Favorites
This is a live album of nothing but new songs and improvisations, released on Table of Elements records. If you want to hear albums where John just stretches out and does whatever he feels like, here you go. Lots of echo and delay too...

I also heard something called "John on Canadian TV" which was him being interviewed and giving some guitar lessons to some snoody woman who said slide guitars were too limited. Also, there is something on soulseek that is just the audio ripped from a DVD called "american primitive guitar lessons".. I really think I need to pick up the dvd though.. it's just 3 hours or so of John doing interviews, talking about Open C tuning and showing you how to play his songs... really great... I saw a few clips on youtube, and the audio is kinda worthless without the DVD but still.

I've seen some other live shows and I still need to get the rest of azalea city memories and other toxic memorabilia and I'll have everything.

My favorite by far is GOD, TIME, AND CASUALTY. It's about an hour long.. six songs.. 2 songs are 12 minute medleys of his best songs, including a slide guitar-only medley.. but the last song, a brand new composition, which is 18 minutes or so in length, is jaw dropping.. it seriously has about 150 riffs in it.. it's just amazing. This album was apparently recorded all in one sitting as well.. it serves as both a "greatest hits" album and with his best new songs. Probably my favorite album of all time and I'll devote a separate post to it eventually. The ultimate guitar album.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|