View Single Post
Old 06.30.2017, 10:29 AM   #48886
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I do think too much. I think. But I don't think I'm doing that here. It wasn't like a "hmm, I want to think about who my fav band is" kind of thing. It was more that IT DAWNED ON ME that for months I've been listening to Wilco so so much and that I love all of their albums.

Lol. I know man. Just giving you a hard time.

I used to actually get stressed about which band was my "favorite" and feel guilty whenever that changed, so that's why I said that.

Mostly in high school... I'd be like "Nirvana... hey everyone, I'm sticking with Nirvana!" Then, "Actualllyyyyy... Pixies. Definitely Pixies... or Modest Mouse or Flaming Lips?" I did feel like everyone has kind of an ideal band for their needs and purposes. Like, I always felt that in order to truly call a band your favorite, and in order to really experience everything that band had to offer, you had to look forward to and purchase at least a few of their albums right when they came out. Above all else, I felt that seeing a band live was extremely important. Like, how much can you really know about a band if you haven't gotten sweaty with them in a too-small club?

Anyway, this made the Pixies really tough, because I didn't see them until their reunion in '04. I had seen Nirvana, but even in high school, I didn't remember much from that experience, and felt bad counting it. So when I saw Sonic Youth for the first time, I felt like I'd found my band, because I already loved their music so much. And I got to look forward to and purchase a whole BUNCH of SY albums despite the fact that they'd been around for 15 years by the time I got into them. And they had music that was deeply personal to me. In fact I loved/love it so much that I'd rather listen to it by myself than with others, because I don't want to hear what anyone thinks of SY's music. That shit is for me. The only exception being going to a show with a bunch of diehards. That can be a lovely communal listening experience. But it's certainly not party music.

ANYHOO... My favorite band will always be SY, I'm pretty sure, since they have been for like 18 years at this point, but I'm comfortable enough with all of that that I can say Kanye is my favorite artist and just leave it at that.

Wilco's damn good, but I'm rarely in the mood to listen to them. And I've only really been disappointed when I've seen them love, which is a real shame. I feel like they have to be a great live band, but they just haven't been on when I've been around.

Quote:
Either way, I listen to plenty of Pumpkins and Weezer as well, so just be happy I wasn't talking about them again.

Thank you!

Quote:
You know my feelings on Tidal and "exclusives" (IE: A company/artist demanding that I am only allowed to purchase a product from one specific store), so I'll be waiting for a wider release on the Jay-Z. I heard some snippets on NPR this morning though, at least three songs, and they all sounded good. Wasn't enough to get a real impression of the whole of course.

Yeah, I'm not big on the exclusive shit either. I think it's terrible. Physical releases are going to die, and that cuts me pretty deep. However, even though I'm not the Jay devotee I once was (I'm able to admit at this point that he only really has 4 great albums, and the rest vary from mediocre with some shining moments to just plain mediocre, if not outright bad), I still have a long history with him, and he's the kind of artist I will go out of my way to hear new albums by. Especially when each album is likely to be his last.

It's a good album so far. Still quite traditional (not interested in experimenting with the genre) but that's ok and I expect it from him. I'll be buying this when it comes out in CD. For sure. Better than MCHG by a substantial amount after one listen.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|