View Single Post
Old 02.05.2014, 10:25 PM   #36
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
in his CHILDHOOD the guy had already written novels and books of short stories and about 10 other genres of things that i can't remember off the top of my head.

how prolific this guy was in what he created, and also, how encyclopaedic he was in what he consumed, is just staggering. someone should write out the entire adam cooley discog.

we talked about this once and he told me he just thought other people were lazy. i wish i knew how to disagree with that.

his films were post post modern masterpieces. i encourage everyone to watch them. this is the kind of guy he was, he simply decided one day in his 20s to make a fucking movie. and he did. he made like 3 of them in fact.

the aesthetic this guy had wasn't self consciously diy or anything. he just DID stuff. he picked up a cheap camera and made a film on windows xp. this is the kind of attitude he had - he just did things. the camera he used cost like $25. he had those films screened in public. he took every opportunity there was, or made them happen himself, with his work. and the joy and passion he had for what he did shines through in everything.

the world was constantly disappointing him because it couldnt keep up with him, and it burnt him out i think.

talking to this guy for any amount of time was a pleasure. he was never mean or vicious like i am. but he could keenly discern why so many of the other "artists" around him would end up accomplishing absolutely nothing. and he was right. he could see the forest for the fucking trees allright.

i felt like he had life utterly sussed. he worked shifts in wall mart and saved his money carefully. he never had any idiotic dreams or narcissistic fantasies about his celebrity self. of course, its easy to think that about other people, but its not often other people really make you believe it.

none of what im saying is hype or over estimation or an attempt to glorify the guy. there wasnt anything magic about him, he just went out and created stuff.

what was also so unique was how adam didn't have a vindictive streak whatsoever. even when he talked about other peoples failings, there was no mean spiritedness. he was a man who knew his own mind.

i know all of this sounds like bullshit, and i am a bullshitter, but despite that, i dont think im exaggerating or saying any of this out of some tragic romanticism or anything. its all true.

rest in peace adam you were an absolute legend.

Yes his attitude about life was so admirable!!!! He accomplished so much in his short life.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|