View Single Post
Old 10.23.2010, 02:50 PM   #12883
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Shaun of the Dead

8/10

Wanted to see this one since learning Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (best movie of the summer of 2010) did this one earlier. The two actually have a lot in common, with the jump cutting showing them getting ready for work and jumping in the car, "the plan", etc. I loved the homages to Romero's classic zombie films being done in a very English manner. The use of the TV was clever, though the army showing up at the end was the most obvious deus ex machina since the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. It doesn't bring things down too much, though.

also

Elephant

4/10

"The events and characters contained in this film are ficitious. Any similarities to events or persons, living or dead, should not be inferred and are purely coincidental." Yeah, right! They might as well have just called this "Columbine: The Movie". One of the killers is named Eric, for God's sake! The film's depiction of high school as being sterile and uncaring rang fairly true for me, but all in all, this film fails in the end, especially at the end when it really doesn't have an ending. This is the only Gus van Sant movie I've seen, but if this is typical of his work, he's got to be the most pretentious and overrated director of our time.