View Single Post
Old 03.01.2010, 02:00 PM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The thing is, London (where dubstep comes from) has an absolutely massive Jamaican community. So does Bristol, another hotspot for dubstep. In the same way that the two cities produced loads of DnB (heavy on the dub beats), so too do they produce dubstep. I know people still make dub, and I'm sure a lot of them do it very well but, let's be honest, its prime was in the late-70s. Dubstep isn't a load of people taking the piss out of Jamaican dub or Rastafari, but using some of the ideas as part of music's continuum.

Dubstep isn't 'exploiting' another culture, it's expressing its own, which happens to be massively saturated in dub. I could easily patronise you and say you wouldn't understand that, not having spent any time in London, but I'll say I do think you need to respect that you can't comment on a culture you haven't lived in or near.

Edit: I should also mention that the actual dub content of most dubstep I hear these days is pretty small, except in the reverbed drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|