View Single Post
Old 01.11.2017, 12:08 PM   #59
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that's carl rogers "active listening". lacan is a different beast altogether.

i added a link above that explains the radical difference between american psychotherapy and lacanian psychoanalysis a bit

Yep. Psychotherapy is the states is primarily based on a medical model, and "analysis" is not really part of the equation. Some therapists still utilize elements of psychoanalysis, but usually with a preamble, like "hey, we can try that if you really want, but understand that it will not be the main focus of our time together." Or some shit.

But with Lacacian psychoanalysis specifically... yeah, even ties to "psychoanalysis" as a term separate from and independent of modern clinical psychotherapy are loose at best. Non-'Mericans might not understand that "unconscious" (like "psychodynamic" and other Freud and/or Jung-derived terms) is a four letter word in the American model of psychology and psychiatry, which is now deeply imbedded in cognitive-neuroscientific and psycholinguistic theory. Lacan was ALL about the unconscious, and though I'm not at all well versed in non-American methods, I know Lacan had an entirely different view of the role of the "analyst." It was more about self-analysis than a professional "analyzing" and patient. Lacan did it himself, and tried to help his "patients" do the same.
This involved almost no participation whatsoever, as there was no real explicit procedure to the therapeutic process as it would vary based on the individual's perceived ... uhh... "lack." "Lack" refers to the object of the treatment, I think... a missing piece of one's identity, around which their language developed. Diving into the "unconscious" helps the patient to identify his or her missing piece.... or... something.

Clearly I'm getting away from myself here, but any reading I've done on this subject has been independent, as they didn't teach this particular kind of thing in my über-sciencey college and graduate programs.

Yeah, dead_battery, you have access to some interesting stuff. I'd definitely be interested in experiencing Lacacian analysis.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|