View Single Post
Old 11.18.2014, 12:25 PM   #18254
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
malcolm mcdowell's statement is easy to pick apart:

a) he raises the bar for genius (michelangelo yes, john ford maybe)

b) he didn't like kubrick personally

but the thing is, he didn't know michelangelo personally (don't know about him meeting john ford) so he's comparing apples to oranges. fucking ingrate got the best role of his life with kubrick-- what has he done since? bit parts in star trek movies and entourage?

the spielberg video was great-- i watched it whole. ends up with spielberg saying that in spite of all the accusations of not being human enough emotional enough etc kubrick was a man of deep feeling. i tend to agree with that if i judge by the work. was he an asshole in his personal life? probably true if we judge by the abundant accusations. who knows?

but the fact is, there are so many people who are great artists and terrible human beings of some kind. we tend to idealize artists and demand they be superhuman when in fact they are often hurt into art and at some level dysfunctional. i seriously doubt that michelangelo was some all-around supreme creature.

mcdowell was probably pissed with kubrick at the time.

oh wait wait here decades later he mentions him along with john ford and kurosawa ha ha ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQQRYMjLTc
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|