View Single Post
Old 05.01.2011, 07:56 PM   #26602
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
But from let's say from the 80's to 2007 I'm pretty sure it decreased a lot. Because that's when the harshest policies against smoking came about, if I'm not mistaken. Especially the increases in price, which seem to be quite effective.

But I guess you're talking about older people who smoked most of their lives?

I did this huge assignment on smoking the other day (worldwide data) and it said that less and less people are taking up smoking.

It makes a lot of sense that 29% of cancer deaths are related to smoking, but sometimes I have the impression that people think that not smoking means no cancer.

I'm actually surprised only 13% of cancer cases are smoking related, I thought it'd be a lot more.
"21% of adults reported smoking, the same as in 2007 and lower than the 39% in 1980."

"Impact of the smokefree legislation:
On the 1st July 2007, smokefree legislation was introduced in England, banning smoking in enclosed public places.
  1. There was no significant difference in cigarette smoking prevalence in adults 16 and over pre and post 1st July 2007. "
However there is no correlation between the cost of tobacco and a decrease in smoking. People will carry on smoking the same quantity regardless of price (probably why governments increase tax on cigarettes safe in the knowledge that it's a guaranteed money maker).
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|