View Single Post
Old 09.21.2014, 10:12 PM   #18210
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
@tw2113- i had to look upthe magdalene sisters-- wow! DAMN! i guess i understand now the story behind "philomena" but i didn't know it was such widespread sadism. thanks for the mention i'll check it out some day (some day when i want to get depressed!-- but seriously…)

===

most recently watched--

don jon- starts like a comedy, and it gets progressively serious. i liked the funny parts better because they were more skilfully done; near the end the drama gets a little obvious, but then it's a nice little fable "for the kids", very watchable overall, not the greatest but not a waste of time either. check it out.

beyond outrage - i didn't realize this was the sequel to "outrage" so i didn't get everything until the end but beat takeshi is always awesome so now i'll have to go in reverse. watch "outrage" first!

the element of crime - lars von trier's first feature, all the way from back in the 80s! pretty great for its time, you'll see a lot of his obsessions on display here (hypnosis, water, possession, decay, experimental elements within conventional narratives, etc.). i didn't know his work went so far back, this predates "europa" by 5 or 6 years.

throne of blood - macbeth by kurosawa! what more can i say? amazing.

samurai assassin - this was a pretty fucking crummy dvd transfer with horrible subtitles and i couldn't watch it for very long. maybe i missed out, maybe i missed out on some heavy sleep.

joe - two good things here: 1) david gordon green going back to his southern roots (e.g. "george washington"), and 2) nicolas cage in a non-cartoony, non-blockbuster role. yes, he's still himself, but this time his acting fits the part and it's a pretty great movie especially if you like gritty redneck melodramas like "winter's bone" only lots funnier. check it. can get a little brutal but great movie overall.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|