View Single Post
Old 11.17.2016, 11:55 AM   #19888
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Fair enough about it not being the best film ever, I mean, what is? I tend to think in that particular poll, critics were just desperate to find something that'd replace Citizen Kane as almost the default 'best ever'. As for whether Vertigo is even the best Hitchcock film is debatable. Saying that I do love it and I would say it's kind of the ultimate Hitchcock film, dealing with most of his obsessions. If someone who'd never seen a Hitchcock film asked me to recommend one that represented what he was all about, I'd give them Vertigo, even though my personal favourite is The Birds.

The musical score maybe but according to Spielberg himself the 'shark vision' stuff was inspired by underwater shots in Creature From the Black Lagoon, which was his fave movie as a kid.

Another bit of Spielberg/Black Lagoon trivia: in Duel, the sound when the truck finally falls off the cliff is that of the creature's roar, slowed down.

This'll all sound like I'm just trying to shoehorn CFtBL into every discussion but in the case of Spielberg, and Jaws in particular, it does have massive relevance.

Ah! Creature From the Black Lagoon, of course. I knew you were going to say this before I even read this post. I remembered your previous mentions of this film just as I was scrolling down to see who said what most recently. You're right. Shark-vision was a total CFBL throwback.

I haven't seen that film in forever. Maybe it's time I revisit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|