Thread: Swans
View Single Post
Old 08.16.2010, 03:21 PM   #88
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
That new song is fantastic !!!

I am an absolute novice in the world of Swans, having heard only White Light from the Mouth of Infinity. What should I check out next? Recommendations please.

Depends on what kind of music you want.

Early Swans (say, Filth from '83 to Holy Money from '86) is incredibly slow, heavy, "sludgey" and brutal music. It's great, especially Filth, but usually nothing I would recommend anyone to start with.

Children of God is my favorite. It's still very heavy at times, but also has a softer, at times almost beautiful side. Fantastic in every way and a pretty good place to start.

Then you have their folk albums; The Burning World, White Light and Love of Life. White Light is the only one of them that is amazing, the other two are the weakest albums in their career.

Then you have The Great Annihilator which probably is their most accessible album. It's fantastic and has a bit of everything; slow and dark murder ballads, noise, more conventional "alt rock" and so on.

And finally you have Soundtracks For The Blind, which is simply mindblowing. Lots and lots of fantastic instrumental and ambient passages, noise, tape recordings and so on. While most Swans albums are very dark because of their lyrics, this is more about the sound of things and how they draw you in into it's twisted world. Don't expect any easy listening, but it's fantastic.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|