View Single Post
Old 02.24.2012, 12:32 PM   #32
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
But isn't Squier kind of a... i dunno... cheapo brand? I just thought Squier was the label Fender stuck on all of its hundred dollar beginner guitars.

Anyway i can't imagine he'll be pleased to hear people are getting a better tone for $400 than he did after saving up for six months out of his paycheck.

This is just a generalized and stereotypical statement, an experienced guitar player can find Squiers that sound decent and actually Fenders that sound like utter shit. Like there are a number of more recent Fender Teles and Strats that are pretty awful... they are made in Mexico and can be lesser quality than some of the newer Squiers. Squier has really upgraded on their quality as of late and made really great models starting especially with the "Vista Series" which were affordable and decent sounding guitars. So to me they are coming closer to what Epiphone is doing in relation to Gibson, as some Epiphones are really nice. you definitely have to do your homework i wouldn't just by any Squier at this point (alot of Squier models look bad and have some undesirable features), same as I wouldn't just buy any Fender...

J Mascis specifically wanted from Fender/Squier to have a model that was affordable for almost anyone, that is why it is designed as such.
so its def. not a CIJ or vintage Jazzmaster but its close and upgradable. Tone is subjective, these squier jazzmasters are warmer sounding and have abit more sustain and though the neck is nice it takes abit more effort to dig in and play (thats just my immediate opinion right now and i like that the guitar fights back abit) this is compared to my friends 90's reissue CIJ Jazzmaster that i played for awhile. So i wouldn't say I'm getting a better tone, I can improve the tone by changing the pickups (more so the neck pickup IMO). I do like the bridge more than on standard jazzmasters, string popping and sliding off of the individual saddles is a major issue thats why SY went with the same Les Paul type bridge (as on the J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster) but now you can go for the ultimate, a Mastery Bridge which is $175 itself!

I have no interest in paying $1200 for a guitar that i'd have to worry about getting ripped off or even a hairline scratch...etc. etc. I want a guitar i can really play and do my thing on... so i never have and never will buy such an expensive guitar, unless i was a "professional" musician and made it my "career", which is unlikely. I'd rather put that money into an amp (which in IMO is more important tone wise) but i'd also never buy a $100 guitar unless i was just learning. The most I paid for a guitar is $650, for my '72 reissue Fender Telecaster Custom and its my primary and favorite guitar.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|