View Single Post
Old 09.06.2015, 03:16 PM   #19024
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I like Chuck's ideas but yeah, his actual prose and particularly dialogue is terrible. And i say this having read all of his books

I've only read Fight Club and Survivor, and a bit of his short fiction, like the aforementioned Tyler Durden story.

I am not a fan of his writing either. He appeals to the same crowd that Brent Easton Ellis appealed to in the 1980's. Young, rich, privileged, white urban lushes. That's not to say either writer is bad... Ellis is much better of course... But what irritates me about Palahniuk is the repetitive style, the constant cynicism and the pomposity of those short abstract declaratives... I am ----'s [body part]"... "I am [Nihilism]'s [self-appointed generational spokesman]."

It's been a long time since I've thought much about the guy, and I don't think much about him now. But I do think Fight Club was a good book with an excellent story that was turned into a fan-goddamntastic film.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|