View Single Post
Old 03.16.2018, 08:55 AM   #154
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Also did not realize STP were doing a new one. While they have an odd history for sure with singers, I actually always sort of liked them as a band. Maybe just a guilty nostalgic pleasure from high-school, but still. Certainly will go check that out too.

I listened to half of it this morning on my commute. I'll say that it was sort of just a curiosity thing - This is their second self-titled album in a row which is odd. And they hired a new singer, just some guy who I guess was on one of those singing shows or something?

In Jr. High STP was huge for me. Core and Purple were big big. And then I always just kinda liked them through high school. And then lost interest for a while. But there's always been something weirdly fascinating about them to me. This sort of tug-o-war between grunge and glam I guess. And then Weiland had gone off - first to do the Velvet Revolver project, then some un-ironic crooner records and recorded an album of covers that never got a proper release and so on. There was a reunion; there was an album with a Linkin Park dude. There's just so much weirdness in that bands' history.

Anyway, I ramble. The new album is surprisingly solid. I'm not going to say "good" here, because frankly I imagine that 98% of this board hates STP haah. So really, I'd word it like this: I was really just shocked at how "Stone Temple Pilots" this album really sounds. It doesn't feel like a forced nostalgia. And it doesn't sound like they tried to find a guy to pretend he's Scott. It just sounds like the musicians went on doing what they always did, and they found another voice to fill the role. This record sounds to me like if you enjoy Purple or Tiny Music, then you'd enjoy this.