View Single Post
Old 03.01.2009, 02:58 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
If your songs suck, they suck. HOWEVER.

A bad recording (not necessarily noisy but bad as in not fitting the vibe of the songs or genre you go for) can make a good song sound bad.

Something I didn't quite put clearly earlier: there's a common misapprehension, often around this forum, that 'a good song is a good song whatever'. In some senses this is true - Beat Happening or Urusei Yatsura, when both were good, wrote some amazing songs that were very lo-fi. But the point of lo-fi wasn't that 'anyone can do anything cheap', it wasn't a liberation of production values, it was an exploration of poor production values. It's like a lot of African music, to me, sounds better when the bass drum is rattling the mic's diaphragm... I'm basically saying that lo-fi isn't a virtue, and should only be used when it's appropriate. Some people spend a lot of money sounding lo-fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|