View Single Post
Old 08.31.2017, 09:27 AM   #15
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
What the fuck is a music snob anyway?

about 75% of this forum, hay-o!

Going back to sonik's post - hell yeah. Although I actually do still listen to SY quite often... at least once a month, though often far more - his experience getting into the band echoes my own. I'd track down each album, and then explore it and fall in love deeper each time. Sonic Youth to me wasn't just getting into a new band, it almost felt like getting into a new genre. Or learning a new language.

Perhaps a big part of it has to do with the order in which I acquired their discography. My first SY release was actually the Dirty Boots EP with all those live tracks. Then I borrowed a copy of Screaming Fields, so was exposed to a bunch of the 80's stuff. Then I found a copy of Made In USA locally, and had no idea what it was. So I was listening to this weird instrumental sndtrk a ton not realizing that it wasn't really a proper album y'know?

I slowly started picking up SY albums as I'd stumble upon them in the wild. This was the late 90's. So mostly I'd have to get lucky and find a used CD. But because of the time, the few albums that would get stocked new were the new releases. This meant that more of what I was experiencing from the band early in my listening was pretty weird. Like Goodbye 20th Century was one I got pretty early because it was "their new album" at the time, and it was actually in stock locally. I also picked up NYCG&F and SYR5 right when they came out as well.

So yeah, to me this band was just this whole new musical universe. Just hearing these juxtapositions in their catalog as I was first getting into them really did something to me. I still love NYCG&F/SYR5 as a back-to-back listen by the way. Although almost two decades later I still struggle to sit through SYR4 haha.

Sonic Love <3