View Single Post
Old 01.08.2015, 10:41 AM   #18492
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Politically, Mike Leigh's generally been more about poking fun at the lower middle class than anything to do with the working class. He's closer to someone like Alan Bennet in that sense. Ken Loach is probably the only overtly political (from a class perspective) filmmaker Britain has left. (If you'll pardon the pun.)

i'm sure you know him better than i do, and a film like life is sweet would fit that description (only in part, because after the comedy it gets really serious), but films like "vera drake" or "naked" are not about that nor funny at all.

i suppose what i find praiseworthy in him is not some sort of political commitment (i am not really fond of overt ideologues), but his realism, in opposition to hollywood which is all about brainwashing through aspirational fantasies of impossible lives.

speaking of realism-- that is a reason why the wire was so great. so things like that are possible, but they are extremely rare.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|