View Single Post
Old 12.17.2019, 12:12 PM   #24325
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i appreciated the witch better on rewatch, and knowing what it had meant to recreate

i did have a problem with my teevee depicting the darkness in hd, maybe it required HDR, maybe it was something else, i had at time problems seeing what was on the screen. purposeful obscurity or technical limitation, some day i might know

great atmospherics, although the plot is not really a plot, which can be bothersome. but once you understand the nature of the source material you can say “ah!” and readjust your expectations

maybe it should help to say, without real spoilers: it’s not meant to be a tight modern narrative, rather it gathers materials from old-timey horror folktales of the early new england colony, and stitches them together.

from that perspective, it was very good, but my initial reaction was disappointment. then it “grew on me,” as they say.

Maybe I'll get around to watching it somewhere online. If the atmosphere is even a smidgeon as dense and well-crafted as in The Lighthouse, I'm all in. That alone of course does not a great viewing experience make, but it goes a long way. The Lighthouse isn't really a plot-driven movie either, it's really more of a character study and a depiction of creeping derangement. I appreciated that a lot.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|