View Single Post
Old 01.04.2007, 04:19 PM   #2
TroutFishingUSA
empty page

TroutFishingUSA has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Does your stereo still work fine? I assume that if you're using headphones, it must. If that's the case you'll just need some new speakers. I'm just making a blind guess, but I bet you have a pretty simple stereo from Best Buy or something. What I mean is, it's a big box that plays 5 CDs, has a radio, maybe tapes, maybe a phono, right? You don't have a separate mixer, preamps and amplifier running to powered or unpowered speakers, right? (if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you probably have a simple stereo)

I'll assume you have a simple stereo, so now you need to see how the speakers hook up. It's usually one of two ways: 1) a wire that splits and is stripped is inserted into two clamps on the back of the stereo (red and black, usually) or 2) the speakers connect via common red/white RCA Audio cables. Once you know what kind of connection you need, I suggest keeping your eye open for a scrapped stereo that's either being thrown out, or in a garage sale, or from a friend, since almost everybody replaces these kind of stereos completely, throwing out 2 perfectly good speakers. The only piece left is to copy down the amp "wattage" and the "ohms" on the back of your stereo and make sure the speakers you use have the same numbers. There's no need to understand, just make sure all the numbers are the same. Since it's an industry standard that's used, almost every speaker you find will match. And honestly, damn near ANY speaker will work, but it just won't sound nice. (Maybe blow up... but...)

Now, if you've got a more high end system, or are looking to move up, that's another deal. Maybe I can help there, too. (I'm no JBL technician or anything, though) I hope this helps you get started. Oh yeah, what brand of speakers did you bust?
--
Patrik
TroutFishingUSA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|