View Single Post
Old 07.10.2008, 01:13 PM   #2311
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Here's my scale of 0-10 using films as a reference, a la Rob Instigator:

0 - "Soul Man" (a film so painfully bad it defies any rational analysis)
1 - "Bloodsucking Freaks" (offensively rubbish, misogynist and thoroughly inept drivel)
2 - "Gangs Of New York" - only gets a 2 for Daniel Day Lewis, because otherwise this is one shitfest of a film, man.
3 - "Desperados" - should be a good film, is fairly boring, and loses major point for Quentin Tarantino's shocking acting.
4 - "Anthropophagous" - a very boring film, but with some great/funny splatter scenes, and it has a certain inept charm to it.
5 - "Requiem For A Dream" - misfires on quite a few levels, but the set pieces are astonishingly sleazy. It at least captures some of the essence of the book as well.
6 - "Weekend" - heralded the start of Jean-Luc Godard's boring period, but nonetheless has some great performances and scenes which stand out.
7 - "Throne Of Blood" - Kurosawa's fine retelling of "Macbeth", with a bravura performance from Tonishiro Minfune.
8 - "Female Trouble" - When it comes to picking the best of John Waters, it feels like to me trying to pick your favourite kid. However, I do have a real fondness for this trash epic, and Edith Massey also steals the show from Divine in places. Julien Temple "borrowed" one of the last scenes of this opus when directing the Sid Vicious "My Way" video.
9 - "Texas Chainsaw Masacre" - Still my favourite horror film of all time. It's relative lack of gore is more than made up for in atmosphere, pacing, ane tension. The last 20 minutes of this film are arguably the most terrifying in post-war cinematic history.
10 - "Aguirre, Wrath Of God" - One of Werner Herzog's masterpieces, with a stunning and iconoclastic performance from Klaus Kinski. If nothing else, the photography is nothing short of heavenly in places.