View Single Post
Old 01.19.2018, 11:03 AM   #57
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
maybe I'm thinking about like Madvillain. I think within the crowd who know, Madvillainy is this absolute classic right? But... who's even heard of it outside of those in the know?

Madvillain was huge though. It was all over year-end lists, seeped into Adult Swim culture, was one of the biggest breakthroughs of ‘03.

But yeah, there’s a difference between that level and co-headlining the highest-grossing hip-hop tour of all time with Jay-Z.

Last year he beat Michael Jackson’s record for most appearances in the top 40 for a male solo artist. His concert in 2016 — a relatively low-key year for Kanye-mania compared to, like, 2007 or 2010 or 2013 — was the biggest live show I’ve ever seen. Made The Rolling Stones look like a garage band.

There’s definitely two different levels of hop-hop success (maybe three) and Kanye has... well, honestly, surpassed “hip-hop” success and become a mainstream cultural icon, a la Prince or MJ (now that SFAD isn’t here, I can say that... hahaha!). Common is extremely well-known, but not many average folks know Common songs.

I’m glad he went where he went, because the music he’s made has made my life better.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|