View Single Post
Old 12.15.2006, 04:11 AM   #73
l01c
empty page

l01c has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hello everyone

I'm brand new here, and I registered just to post this comment. I'm sorry if I sound newbie or anything, or if this discussion has already happened elsewhere, but I must say what is on my heart.

I'm a long time french Sonic Fan. Discovered them with "Pump Up The Volume" OST in 1989, then started with Daydream Nation, fell in love, bought everything backward and onward. Went to as many parisian shows as I could since (except one or two summer festival)

I'm very disappointed with yesterday's show, for two main reasons:

- the public: 3/4th of the pit was static as hell. No one moving, no one dancing. Sonic is for me a physical experience, I just can't stay put, I must wave and dance and shout. I kinda remember the pit used to be a lot more alive for earlier shows. Why has it changed ?

- the setlist: why oh why so few oldies ? No Goo, no Expressway, no Brother James, no Schyzophrenia, no Diamond Sea ??? The front of the audience (the moving part of the pit) was definitly asking for more oldies, and the frustration was palpable at the end of the show - Teenage Riot set the pit aflame, but too little and too late !!! While the conditions were absolutly optimal (Great sound - which in Zenith is very rare - full audience, great opening act...), the whole show revolved around more recent, calmer, mellow songs, with too little variation for my own taste - and definitely not enough punkish or noisish songs. No sonic wall.

For once I have the weird feeling that I haven't grown up in the last 15 years while Sonic & the rest of its audience has grown old and quiet. Where is my Sonic Youth ?
l01c is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|