View Single Post
Old 09.17.2017, 02:21 PM   #21462
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
The Witch is very much horror. Why it when a good horror movie comes out, people suddenly want to rebrand it something else? People need to be proud of being a horror movie. Non horror websites like to say if a movie is good it transcends the horror genre and doesn't need to be called a horror movie. Movies like The Exorcist, or Se7en get called psychological dramas. Fuck that, they are horror movies. IT is not written by Stephen King "the master of coming of age drama with scary elements" he's the "master of horror". I just hate this rebranding of successful horror movies as a way to sell it to audiences who don't want to see a horror movie.

Uh. Ok.

Stephen King is no master of horror though. That's Lovecraft. Period. Stephen King is the master of fast book-writing. Like John Grisham and James Patterson but with more rape and monsters and, actually, veritable FUCK TONS of coming-of-age stories. Like, it's a bit baffling that you would choose the phrase "coming-of-age" to describe what Stephen King is not... He's almost as well-known for that very thing as he is for "horror."

Anyway, I think you know what I meant. There's a massive difference between a film like The Witch, or Antichrist, and the average slasher flick. A fucking world of difference. I guess I could say "high horror" and "low horror," but that sounds pretentious and stupid and fuck it I'm not doing it. You know what I'm talking about.

Genres are only useful to a certain point. It's possible for something to be terrifying and not be traditional horror. It's possible for genres to blend and merge and evolve. If "horror" is the tag we're using to describe everything from The Birds to Freddy V. Jason to the Witch, and there's no room to alter or modify the term, then it's an invalid label that is virtually meaningless.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|