Thread: new bob dylan
View Single Post
Old 03.29.2020, 09:13 PM   #14
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
It's hard to find a real precedent for this brilliant song in Dylan's work. Yes, we all know the long ones, from "Desolation Row" to "Tempest" -"Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands", "Joey", "Brownsville Girl", "Highlands"- but this time there's no semblance of a chorus, it's not a waltzy tune, the vocal phrasing is different, and it's incredibly atmospheric without the need of a Lanois-esque sound; it's all anchored by that gorgeous, unpredictable piano and the whoosh of the cymbals, basically. And this is just "an unreleased song we recorded a while back that you might find interesting"? Jesus Christ.

Now... does anybody else find the first part of the minimal press release a bit eerie? "Greetings to my fans and followers with gratitude for all your support and loyalty across the years". Could be just a way of saying "I'm stuck like all of you, had to cancel my Japan tour, sorry, here's a tune for a buck". But it also sounds like something Bowie could have said before Blackstar came out. Fuck that - may Bob live on 'til he's 150 at least.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|