View Single Post
Old 12.03.2016, 02:56 PM   #20112
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Event Horizon

Seems to take an age to get going and the climax never quite lives up to the build up, but still a very solid piece of Lovecraftian sf, helped immeasurably by the apparantly-can-do-no-wrong Sam Neill.

Oh man, I thought it was just wretched. For years people told me it was one of the scariest, most disturbing thing ever, I finally watched it and Yowza what a stinker. B-movie Hellraier ripoff. Never read the book, but I'm guessing the movie doesn't live up to it.

Quote:
That would be a dream come true and, without going over old ground, I'm half surprised Christopher Nolan hasn't thought about doing something. Unfortunately a large chunk of its current fanbase would insist on something more light-hearted/campier/knowing. It'd be great to see a film with the guts to just play it completely straight. And make the Dr unfashionably old. Michael Caine would be an obvious choice if Nolan did it, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Morgan Freeman have a go.

Hmm. Interesting. But Morgan Freeman isn't British (is he?) ... I think there are some other actors who might be better, though Cain is appealing.

Quote:
Have you seen Quatermass & the Pit? It was written by Nigel Kneale who did some great DW stories. It's probably the best DW film without actually being part of the series.

Oh! No, never seen it, but just looked it up and I'm totally down.

Nice call on Nolan, he's a Brit and he's the right age to be a mega fan like Neil Gaiman. But he'd never do it. Maybe someday someone will.

BTW: I don't love everything about Peter Capaldi's Doctor — fuck those sunglasses and the guitar — but I think he does a great job at "serious old guy who doesn't give a fuck" Doctor. He's had some great moments.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|