View Single Post
Old 01.31.2013, 09:23 PM   #39
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I've always thought of Unwound as being more akin to Slint and (for some reason) Fugazi than Sonic Youth, but I kinda lump them all together. Again, no fuckin' clue why. Probably has something to do with the point in my life when I really got into the bands. Wire falls into that category too, and so does My Bloody Valentine (kind of another head scratcher, I know).

Where was I? Ah yes. Nowhere, because I had not actually begun to make a point.

Aaaaaanyway.. Yes Unwound is one of the best fucking bands ever. I would never in a million years claim that they are better then Sonic Youth, I have many times, said to myself, "Holy shit, is Unwound actually better than Slint?!?" (Sometimes out loud, as I did today in the middle of a teleconference at work, much to my own chagrin. My boss was none too pleased.

But honestly in terms of volume of awesome music, and degree of the awesomeness of the awesome music, Unwound is definitely at lest on a par with the mighty Slint. And because there's so much more to be heard and enjoyed by Unwound, I'm going to have to say they'e the "better" band, even though Slint is the better "band." Does that make sense?

It does. And I also think that there is no band that comes closer to being "like" Sonic Youth. Y'know how some people always want to know who the next Nirvana/Pixies/Sonic Youth is going to be? Well, Unwound is the only answer I can come up with and it's a shitty fucking answer! To, I'll might add, a pretty stupid fucking question! One which I have asked a shit ton of times.

Best album of the 00's. Leaves Turn Inside You. Best non-Sonic Youth album anyway. I think. Of '00-'09 anyway.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|