Thread: Free Jazz
View Single Post
Old 09.20.2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's a glib Cage-ism, but once a musical door is opened, it generally stays open. I don't think it has anything like the urgency it had as a nascent form; I don't think it's even approaching any sense of still being 'avant-garde' (whatever that loaded term means to you). I certainly don't think it's a relic as I saw a bunch of guys under 30 doing free jazz just last week. It definitely has a continued life in music theory and practise. Personally, I can't play it for shit, because it's still very close to head music (in the jazz sense).

It's a bit of a bland statement, but do you think that Tallis stops being important just because he's been dead 100s of years? In that immanent moment of watching Spem in Allum, it's still incredibly exciting. Free Jazz isn't so utterly divorced from structure as to be that holy grail 'total improv'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|