View Single Post
Old 09.10.2014, 05:05 PM   #20
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Jeff Beck
This guy is a technical aficionado and considered one of the finest guitar players ever, and I have no criticisms or critiques other than that when he plays it comes across as almost robotic. The guy can shred, he can rip, and he can play classical. When he touches the fretboard, its with such a commanding finesse that its almost a paradox! He can combine and bridge scales and patterns in intuitive ways that are unprecedented even among the greats. I guess my only criticism is sometimes he overly relies on speed and attack which makes a lot of his playing come across as a bit rushed..Also in a way, maybe he can do too much and there fore never really settled on a particular style to make his own?

Quote:
Keith Richards
Wait, this dude actually plays guitar? Where does he find the time in between drug binges and debauchery

Quote:
Johnny Marr
There is an edge and intensity to this guy's guitarwork that I have always admired, but I just can't stand Morrissey. The way the guitarwork, particularly the fills and use of feedback were so ably matched with the tempo and beat is impressive, its what introduced a lot of people to a kind of "musical distortion" aside from just the standard metal blaring crush of feedback. To be sure, a lot of the bands I listen to were heavily influenced by The Smiths, indeed I've even been accused in my own guitar playing of such influence even though I don't listen to them, so there is that.

Quote:
Kawabata Makoto
This speaks for itself don't you agree? This guy does things with his guitar that I fantasize about.

Quote:
Curt Kirkwood
I always thought the Kirkwood brothers were completely underrated from the "grunge" era, their guitar work has much more complexity, especially in their fill patterns and leadwork, but their vocals simply lacked the prowess to match their instrumentation. I also enjoyed the way they could turn their fill work into noise using distortion. They clearly knew there scales but in a more intuitive way. When they played on Unplugged they demonstrated just how much further they were away from Kurt Cobain's more simplistic style.. I like their music, I listen to several of their records, but its almost a niche audience vocally speaking, honestly if these guys had a "better" singer they probably would have been much more significant. To be sure, my own guitar work (use of fills and stretched chords) is heavily influenced by Meat Puppets..

Quote:
Liz Harris

I've never heard of her so I can't say shit, but checking out Grouper on youtube I'm semi-interested, as folks here know I am rather obsessed with dream pop sounding shoe gaze

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|