View Single Post
Old 05.21.2010, 06:50 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
encyclopaedic knowledge of Byron Coley, Joe Carducci, or Tom Lax then you shouldn't bother writing about rock music.

Just to pick up on this - Coley is a great writer, but I think his virtue is in the self-contained logic of his ridiculous adjectives. He's clearly very knowledgeable, but then I reckon Pencil/ Pouncey is pretty up there. The problem with Pouncey - and Wire writers in general - is that there's this sense that namechecking is somehow a critical analysis. There are some very nuanced writers there - I really like Brian Morley - but a lot of them (as the letter at the beginning of this thread alludes to) write in this cod-academic style that's not massively helpful. If anyone knows of any mags that do look at a similar field to the Wire in a properly academic way, I'd be grateful to know. I pick up the odd jazz or classical mag, but the subject matter gets quite tiring for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|