View Single Post
Old 06.16.2009, 04:56 AM   #122
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Tough. Illmatic will always be there, because it, along with Madvillainy, is the reason I got into hip-hop in the first place. Madvillainy is a tough one, because it's definitely the most important Doom album for me in terms of opening up my understanding of hip-hop. In fact, I probably like it more than most of my favourite hip-hop albums by other artists. However, as far as Doom's albums go, I love Operation Doomsday even more, and the more I get my head around King Geedorah the more I think it might also be a superior album. I also adore Black Bastards. Doom's definitely my favourite hip-hop musician at the moment, all told, so if I allowed more than one of his onto the list it would probably just be like 60% Doom...

Beyond that, it gets a bit trickier, because the genre's so varied and I haven't really been heavily into it for that long. Liquid Swords is currently my favourite Wu Tang release, so that would go on there. Mainstream cliche or not, I'm a huge fan of The Blueprint, primarily because Kanye on the top his game is a wonder. I'm also currently loving Donuts very much...

Further on from that, the problem becomes that their are so many I love, but roughly equally. The list would probably resemble:
  1. Doom - Madvillainy/Operation Doomsday/King Geedorah, depending on the day.
  2. Nas - Illmatic
  3. GZA - Liquid Swords
  4. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
  5. KMD - Black Bastards
  6. Dilla - Donuts
  7. Beasties - Paul’s Boutique
  8. Whichever Doom I didn’t pick at #1
  9. Ditto
  10. Company Flow – Funcrusher Plus
I don’t know, that list seems totally unsatisfactory somehow. Would need to really sit down and listen to all the favourites properly in a short space of time to work out a real list. Also, I finally ordered Black Star, should be coming in the post today, and seeing how much I love Reflection Eternal and Black On Both Sides, that may well end up on there… Anyway, enough rambling.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|