Thread: April Madness
View Single Post
Old 04.05.2006, 10:49 PM   #30
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
I think, unless people really wouldn't partake, I'm going to stick with the 64 song list with brackets. That will prevent two huge songs going up against each other early on and we'd have a better vibe of the fan favorite songs (those in the elite eight).

Well, it's up to you since you're pretty much running the thing. But as I was going through your brackets, it struck me how hard it is to decide what makes the cut and what doesn't. Some really excellent stuff would left off. Which is worse; two "popular" songs facing off too soon or a song not even getting the chance to compete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
Bracket Two: 1987-1990
1. Cross the Breeze
2. Mote
3. Silver Rocket
4. Schizophrenia
5. Teenage Riot
6. Stereo Sanctity
7. Disappearer
8. Candle
9. Pipeline/Kill Time
10. White Kross
11. Kool Thing
12. Cinderella's Big Score
13. Eric's Trip
14. Dirty Boots
15. Total Trash
16. Hey Joni

Close but no cigar: Titanium Expose, Catholic Block, Beauty Lies, Tuff Gnarl, PCH, Kotton Krown, The Sprawl, Kissability, Tunic, Mary Christ, Macbeth

Well, here's my take on this bracket. Maybe others disagree.

I think we need far more songs from Sister and Daydream Nation than Goo. In my eyes, Goo has a bunch of nice songs, but not as many "classics" as DDN or Sister. I really think the only songs that need to make it from Goo are "Dirty Boots" and "Mote". Ok, maybe "Kool Thing" as well. But the other Goo songs are totally dispensable.

"Catholic Block", "PCH", and "Kotton Krown" really deserve to be on there. I think those three should replace "Cinderella's Big Score", "Disappearer", and "White Kross". I would even argue that "Tuff Gnarl" should replace "Kool Thing" but if others REALLY want "Kool Thing" on there, I could live with that.

Oh yeah, and as for the seeds, I think "Schizophrenia", "Teenage Riot", and "Silver Rocket" should probably get the top spots. "Mote" and "'Cross the Breeze" need to get moved down, "Candle" could probably move up a bit. And if "Kool Thing" stays on, it should definitely be a very low seed.

Quote:
Bracket Three: 1992-1995
1. Diamond Sea
2. Theresa's Sound World
3. Skip Tracer
4. Sweet Shine
5. Sugar Kane
6. Washing Machine
7. On the Strip
8. Self-Obsessed and Sexxee
9. JC
10. 100%
11. Chapel Hill
12. Drunken Butterfly
13. Androgynous Mind
14. Purr
15. Unwind
16. Bull in the Heather

Close but no cigar: Wish Fulfilment, Youth against facism, starfield road, screaming skull, waist, doctor's orders, in the mind of the..., becuz, saucer-like, no queen blues, genetic

Not bad, but I think "Bull in the Heather" and "100%" should get much higher seeds, and maybe a song like "Skip Tracer" shouldn't be so high. I'd also rather see "Saucer-Like" than either "On the Strip" or "Washing Machine".

Quote:
Bracket Four: 1999-2004
1. Rain on Tin
2. NYCG&F
3. Dripping Dream
4. Hoarfrost
5. Pattern Recognition
6. Wildflower Soul
7. Sypathy for the Strawberry
8. Karen Revisited
9. Disconnection Notice
10. Paper Cup Exit
11. Empty Page
12. Small Flowers Crack Concrete
13. I love you golden blue
14. Nevermind
15. Sunday
16. Heather, Angel

Close: Anagrama, Female Mechanic, French Tickler, Hits of Sunshine, Karen Koltrane, Ineffible Me, Free City Rhymes, Renegade Princess, Radical Adults, Unmade Bed, Stones, New Hampshire, Peace Attack

I think "NYCG&F" got much too high of a seed. "Anagrama" and "Unmade Bed" should replace "Nevermind" and "Paper Cup Exit", IMO. And maybe "Hits of Sunshine" over "Heather, Angel"?