View Single Post
Old 04.13.2011, 06:12 AM   #14540
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
And I will be the one voice of dissention and say that -- as a fan of 80's horror (it used to be ALL I WATCHED) -- I thought HOUSE OF THE DEVIL was about as boring as a film can get. It had a sort-of similiar atmosphere to some of those films, I mean he definitely captured that okay but geez. Just didn't find much to like in it, nor CABIN FEVER 2. But, yeah, speaking of Damon Packard again, he totally nailed the made-for-tv's horror thing in REFLECTIONS OF EVIL (and did something way, way more with it to boot). HOUSE OF THE DEVIL interests me only to the extent that it's aesthetically pleasing, what with its "limited edition big box vhs release" and all that stuff, which is pretty cool/funny (though TRASH HUMPERS was released on recycled VHS also, which kinda lessens the gimmick -- either way, both films aren't ones I'd want to own, on DVD or VHS!).

As for DANGEROUS GAME, the movie is basically for people who like a) Abel Ferrara at his darkest, most bleak/depressing/drugged-out/absurd/ridiculous and b) those who like James Russo screaming about "cocksucking" and "motherfucking" for about 20 minues of the film (his ENTIRE PERFORMANCE is him screaming and crying, and I'm not kidding. I seriously can't think of a part of the film where he isn't screaming and/or crying and/or praying) and c) those who think Harvey Keitel is the best actor ever. I'm one of those people who enjoys all 3, especially c. I love Keitel. CITY OF INDUSTRY, ULYSESS GAZE, BAD LIEUTENANT, THE PIANO, LULU ON THE BRIDGE, his roles in various Tarantino-related films (he is what makes RESERVOIR DOGS imo).... amazing dude.

I'm in it for the Madonna.

But, you have to admit The House of the Devil takes 13 gallon diarrhea dumps on Trash Humpers. When I look at TH, I see a product of shameful self-parody released by a superbly talented filmmaker, that breaks no new ground whatsoever, and seems to have more fun poking its audience with a stick instead.

On the other hand, I look at a film like The House of the Devil, by a talented rookie; which has the potential to really be a game changer in its genre.

With THOTD, West romanticizes the forgotten horror gems of the 70s/80s with an amount of respect that I don't think I've ever seen matched in any similar homage. It chooses to be low-key rather than kooky, and at the same time perfects the craftsmanship of tecniques like the freeze framed opening credit sequence, and 80's dance sequence, with a true sense of beauty.

It's a methodically dry, slow burner that should be compared to something like Rosemary's Baby, or To the Devil a Daughter rather than 976-Evil, or Chopping Mall. It's a 2009 80's period piece done in a 70's style. I think Cabin Fever 2 was his 80's gross out tribute before the studio butchered it to death. He's abandoned it since though -- DUNE STYLE.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just a big fan. I'm glad West found a style that really works for him.

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|