View Single Post
Old 02.20.2015, 11:17 AM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=Severian
Tell me what you'd say to your friend.[/QUOTE]

i told a friend a couple of years ago to go to med school, but this is because someone else was paying for it. he's in his 30s now he'll probably finish everything by the time he's 40 but as a resident he'll start getting paid before that.

the thing is there are drawbacks to his choice. he's currently miserable, he was happy before though his job was a dead end. eventually we assume he'll be happy again but he notices a lot of brainwash and socialization goes with the training. it's not all great.

your question is really hard and supercomplicated because i know ultimately you're trying to figure out, yourself, in your situation, what to do, and not just a general thing. (lawyers btw we've had a glut for a while, i think it belongs in the more absurd end of things)

all i'd say at this age is you can't check out for 4 or more years of study and hope you'll like the job when you come back to the world saddled by massive debt.

you'll probably be better off by taking some low-level position in the field you want, test it out, and then study as you go.[eta: this is what rastafriends has been doing for years now]. i mean this is what everyone should be doing after high school anyway, look at the real world first, but instead one keeps learning from books alone-- a bullshit system.

i know there is job growth in the medical field but you don't have to necessarily expect that a top position will be accessible.

a couple of years ago i was having a conversation with a man who was scanning my balls (true story) and he was making a decent living as a medical imaging technician after many years in corporate life (business degree). i think it took only 1 year or 2 of schooling and his pay was solid.

nothing says you can't become a doctor after a thing like that-- i think a lot of EMTs and biomedical engineers and other people like that go to med school. but my friend who's in med school now says it's mostly 22 y.o. kids with zero life experience who don't mind the med school brainwash-- so if you don't mind the age difference it's okay. but in some schools it's not all childrix, there are more mature students.

i also have friends in the rehab business-- they're mostly women and they're sweet people.

anyway, i'm rambling at this point.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|