View Single Post
Old 02.11.2015, 09:45 PM   #224
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
suchfriends, part of what makes Kanye so compelling to me is his contradictions. He is basically a walking contradiction. Look at an early track like "All Falls Down" or a recent one like "New Slaves," and yet he's so materialistic. Remember the two sides of Pac? The reason Ye talks so much shit is because the only person who hates Kanye more than "you" is Kanye.

I point to 2 notable moments, both happening around 2007. (1) he broke out of the mold of the sort of geeky producer dude and became a superstar, and (2) his mom died.

He's not coped with either well I think.

Later tracks are filled with decadence and debauchery but for the most part they don't sound fun. Sure he's got "Good Life," but at the same time he peppers lyrics with cries for help. He's pointed to lots of addictions. Alcohol and sex being the 2 most obvious. Materialism a close 3rd.

But the drinking doesn't sound like celebrating. "the plan was to drink until the pain's over, but what's worse? The pain or the hangover?"

Even his sex talk can be offset by "Runaway" which is what? A 9 minute excercise in self-loathing because he doesn't know how to treat women. Or what about fucking "Blame Game"? It's brutal.

Check out any of the tracks I've mentioned (minus "Good Life") and you might start to see why he's so interesting to some of us.