View Single Post
Old 01.20.2017, 10:21 AM   #1046
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
no i mean, the idea that gringos have of "latinos" is of a very stereotyped mestizo character. i was just trying to clarify.

mestizo is (like the canadian métis) a basic indian-spanish blend. so you get brown skin / black hair / black eyes and a mixture of european and indian properties. mestizos are a majority in countries that had large native civilizations-- mexico, ex-mayan countries, & the andes.

but people who come from this part of the world are all called "latinos."

the thing is latin america doesn't just have mestizos. black slaves were brought over (and the genetic diversity within africa is greater than the rest of the whole world), waves of immigrants came over, and the fucking never stopped.

a dark haired scot playing a latino version of odin actually sounds very latin american ha ha ha. just like vicente fox,6'4", president of mexico, has not an english last name but a german one (fuchs), and peruvian dictator fujimori fled to the japan of his ancestors when he got into trouble.

funny story-- that super hot colombian lady from some lame tv show, family something-- you know the one im talking about-- is actually blonde. but she died her hair dark so she'd get more parts, ha ha ha.

don't sweat it man. a litter of mongrel puppies is what "latino" means.

Well, a litter of mongrel puppies is what "American" means too, though a little over half the population is really into forgetting all about that.

Actually, I think the same is true of a lot of cultures and "races." In that same godawful cultural S.W. class, we did some lineage tracing to prove some point that now escapes me. By all accounts from my family, and even, ultimately, in the class, I'm close to being of 100% Irish. But if going back a bit, I see that I had a great-great-grandmother who married the son of an Italian whose mother was half Greek. In Ireland. But I'm "Irish." And — funnily enough — the Irish people I've met tell me that if I were to say that in Ireland, I'd be lauhed out of the pub.

See.. now I'm remembering that we were essentially using Ancestry.com for accredited graduate coursework, which is of course obscenely stupid. So if you ever hear me bitching again about how I wish I'd stayed in grad school, do me a favor and remind me of this.

EDITED TO ADD:
In all fairness, that class was an elective. I had much better teachers and far fewer mind-numbingly stupid assignments in my program work.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|