View Single Post
Old 12.03.2016, 12:20 PM   #20108
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
finally managed to watch ALFIE last night. the original not the jude law nonsense (i'm only assuming it's nonsense).

michael caine was BRILLIANT in it. holy shit, it was practically a soliloquy on fast forward. also enjoyed the 60's-modern approach & small french new wave touches (the baby photos, i thought). really enjoyable period piece-- because it's a period piece.

i mean period piece cuz the mores re:biopaternity + abortion are more than a bit outmoded by today's standards. so i can see how the jude law remake would be needed to update the fable (though i haven't seen it and don't know what actually happens).

but in spite of the historical distance it still it packs a big punch if one forgets to be so 2016 for a moment. really enjoyed it. also, no heroes-- except maybe for annie & howard which we don't really see much.

eta: dont know anything about lewis gilbert but he made some movies i've enjoyed (educating rita & various james bonds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
You've said this sort of thing a few times before and I still can't get my head around it. So anything not from 'murica you can't watch? It's kind of a dim statement to say you can't watch something cos it's from Britain. No less dim if you had said Spain or wherever else.
not agreeing with his evaluation as i have yet to get into dr who, but one could argue the label "provincial" or "parochial" can often be grounds for dismissal for all kinds of art without having to name its province or parish. i can totally imagine a british person saying "too french" or "too german" ha ha ha. not that you do that. just trying to read the ideas behind the words.

eta: i always remember how some english critics sort of faintly praised joyce as a "wild irish" and "provincial talent" when he first published dubliners. the reviews come bound in the penguin critical edition of the book, which i have buried in some crate at the moment, or i'd be able to give you the exact quotes.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|