Thread: Os Mutantes
View Single Post
Old 10.19.2011, 07:12 PM   #60
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
Portuguese are not caucasian?
What?

Also, you do realise that Brazil is one of the most mixed countries in the world, right? Which would mean your argument doesn't even make that much sense.

I have a very good friend from Brazil. I've known her since high school. If you told her there was no ethnic difference between her home and, say, New York, she'd smack you silly. And if you called her white, you'd be in deep shit.

New York is a culturally diverse city. So what? American and Portuguese cultures and ethnic identities are completely different.

No, what what's-his-name was talking about is called "ethnocentrism". If an American had an aversion to the language, music, religion, or customs of another culture just because it wasn't "American", he/she would be displaying "ethnocentric" tendencies.

But who cares? I was making a clearly bad joke about knee-jerk liberalism, and it was only a speck of the content of my main thought (which was that I've always liked Os Mutantes, but have been distracted by the vocals). I don't want to get into a semantic argument.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|