View Single Post
Old 07.05.2017, 03:45 PM   #48895
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Sev, let's walk thru how weird this is when it's played like an album...

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Edit)
So like, the biggest "alternative" hit of the 90's starts it off. I don't recall what makes the edit different than the LP version.

2. Even In His Youth
3. Aneurysm
And then is immediately followed by these two OMG tracks that are much darker and noisier than the A-side.

4. Come As You Are
5. Endless Nameless
Another big single, and then that super secret hidden track that wasn't on some early pressings of the album by accident. I assume that's why it was re-released as a b-side. I forget how awesome this song is.

6. School (Live)
7. Drain You (Live)
And now a couple of inanely rocking live tracks. YES! One goes back to Bleach, the other is a highlight of Nevermind. That f'ing buildup in "Drain You" is one of the finest things on that record.

8. In Bloom
9. Sliver (Live)
10. Polly (Live)
Another big single, and two more live tracks. This time we get the non-album/Incesticide single "Sliver" which rules and an obligatory "Polly".

11. Lithium
12. Been A Son (Live)
The huge mellow single and then a live version of "Been A Son" - another Incesticide rarity. And something more akin to their punkier side. Which goes into...

13. Curmudgeon
...holy crap. I feel like this song kind of scared me as a pre-teen with the Lithium single (which was the first CD I ever bought if my memory is correct.)

14. Heart Shaped Box
15. Milk It
I always thought it was weird that the b-side to this was an album track. But I mean... it's such a great song. Always sounded pretty Melvins-y to me.

16. Marigold
And then this little beauty.

17. All Apologies
18. Rape Me
Another album track as b-side... but again, a great one.

19. MV
Holy crap what a weird song. I love it, though. Love it.

Looking back, this box set isn't quite perfect - it should have included the "Pennyroyal Tea" single which would have the remix of the the a-side along with "I Hate Myself And Want To Die" and then "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" from Unplugged. Incidentally, my bootleg does tack on that one last song.