View Single Post
Old 08.27.2016, 04:13 PM   #89
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
sometimes those creative periods where artists crank out like 5 releases in a year are the best. i'm thinking specifically of thanksgiving and sean mccann. both had periods of insane output, got burnt, and tried taking their music in another direction to less success. adrian orange i'm pretty sure just went full brian wilson's smile trying to make a hip-hop record.

Most of the artists who really crank the new releases out these days seem to be mid-level hip-hop acts, releasing "official" mixtape after mixtape to varying degrees of success (often with no success whatsoever, in my opinion.)
I used to be of the opinion that it was better to drop an album a year and take full advantage of creative peaks than to take breaks between albums. But that was a while ago. I can't remember the last time an artist put out multiple truly great LPs in the same year. Now I tend to think one really solid album every two years is pretty much the ideal pace for most groups and artists. Sonic Youth did this... like clockwork, almost. The little mini-albums and EP's and SYR volumes they dropped on the side were icing on the cake, a great outlet for the really out there shit they were playing with. It was a great setup, and I wish more bands would follow that kind of release schedule

I guess Parquet Courts had two pretty color records in 2014... But neither was brilliant. Both Sunbathing Animal and Content Nausea were were good fun, but I wouldn't say the back-to-back releases were entirely necessary.

I do love both the albums Frank Ocean has released in the last ten days, but Endless has a much more experimental vibe to it, which makes it hard to view it as a proper album, especially compared to Blonde. More like a companion EP or some shit.

I'd love it if a truly great band or artist would start cranking out truly great albums at a Beatles-like pace, but as far as I can tell, nobody's up for that. Bob Pollard seems to think he is, but he's not. I don't think I could sing a song from that multi-LP run he was on back in 2014/2015 if I had a gun to my head... even though I'm pretty sure I own all the albums in question.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|