View Single Post
Old 03.14.2010, 03:32 AM   #22
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
These three records are among the greatest rock music ever created.

Bad Moon Rising is my favorite album by anybody in any genre, Confusion is Sex is one of the most powerful artistic statements ever laid to tape, and the first record is a pristine document that actually reflects the melodic/dissonant things to come more than either of those albums.

While I get completely annoyed with the "Sonic Youth haven't done anything worthwhile since Daydream Nation" crowd, and completely love many of their records from the '90s and '00s, I have to admit to believing at heart that the earliest recordings were the greatest. It's just that nobody had ever made anything like Confusion or Bad Moon before they did. Certainly there was stuff like early Suicide or Pere Ubu that you can compare to them stylistically (and yeah they lifted some sounds from Branca and other no wave people), but those two albums are such original statements of music that had never been heard before. And it's damn brilliant enrapturing music too, pushing the limits of what electric guitars could do in rock music the most they'd been pushed at least since Hendrix well over a decade before.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|