View Single Post
Old 11.08.2013, 04:38 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
i was obsessed with him when i was a teen. Axis: taught me to appreciate more beautiful or "pretty" music.

Agreed, I was obsessed with Hendrix back in high school. BUT, the older I get, the more I appreciate the craft, substance, and poetry of Jimi Hendrix. I mean, the guy should become a Saint, by his personality alone. He said things that had to be said, and in the way they had to be said.

Quote:
that and the first Doors album
Another great record, but the Lizard King was just too damned weird for this planet, and the Multiverse had to absorb him and send him along his way to one of the other 11 dimensions which better suited him.

Quote:
before that, everything had to be loud and distorted. there were exceptions of course. 80's indie rock and some 70's rock shit.
And yet, ironically Hendrix was also the first person to play his guitar that damned loud and create music out of that much feedback, we forget this after the fact in a world filled with guitar feedback, but before Hendrix, feedback was not part of music, it was an accident meant to be avoided. Hendrix was the first person to say, "I'm going to use feedback like a paint brush." Then came Black Sabbath, and suddenly playing guitar with a stack of amps at full volume became somehow the norm. We are in his debt for this, even with our tinnitus

Quote:

meh, looking over his discography i would say Axis of course.

Axis is a great record, probably the better of his "studio" albums, but you got to check out some of the Electric Lady studio work. Jimi had a premonition of his own death, and felt he had to put out as much of his art as possible. Its almost surreal to think about it now actually, the same exact thing happened to Tupac, which is why we have SIXTEEN Makaveli bootleg tapes around LA Swap meets, there were over 48 hours of tapes to work with, Tupac was possessed. So was Hendrix in 1970.

Quote:
songs:

Little Wing

One of my favorites just to marinate on with a beer.

Quote:
If 6 was 9

Few people realize how deeply and personally self-reflective this song was.

Quote:
Castle Made of Sand

When I first heard this song when I was 15, it made me fucking tear up. Music had never had that kind of impact on me before, I mean seriously, who writes lyrics like that AND matches it with such superb instrumentation? To think, Jimi was never confident with his voice, and yet it is such a soulful and iconic sound, so expressive, so natural.

Quote:
Bold as Love

Exactly. Tie this with Message to Love and you epitomize what Jimi was about.

Quote:

yea, i like the soft wussy psych shit.

No shame in that, Hendrix was great at it. I think he was revolutionary in how he syncretically blended all the styles of his era without ever sounding forced. His records were at once everything simultaneously.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|