View Single Post
Old 02.16.2012, 08:52 PM   #51
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
There's some Sonic Youth documentaries in addition to "1991: The Year Punk Broke", E. Noisefield. Right off the top of my head I can think of "Sleeping Nights Awake", by Michael Albright, about a concert in Reno, NV, during the "Rather Ripped" tour, with live footage filmed by students from Reno; critics have praised the film, but I haven't seen it so I can't share my own opinion. Would love a DVD release, and been expecting it to be announced every year, only to be disappointed. If you look around a little bit, maybe you will find "Sonic Youth: Innovators In Music", which was broadcast on Canadian TV a couple of years back, contains footage from a show in Kansas during the band's tour in support of "The Eternal" as well as interviews with Lee and Thurston in regards to the band's origin, approach to experimentation, influences (Glenn Branca, Rhys Chatham...), methods of composition, and the longevity of Sonic Youth. If you do find download links in the board, don't get too excited; they should have become useless with the death of Megaupload. It still might be out there somewhere, though. Also, did you forget to mention "Put Blood In The Music"? C'mon, E. Noisefield, don't you tell me you haven't seen that one, man. Another one which I bet you will find on youboob: "20 Years Of Sonic Youth"....

If you are looking for documentaries with participation by members of Sonic Youth, there's a bunch as well. I can mention just a few: "William S. Burroughs: A Man Within", Celine Dahnier's "Blank City" (released on DVD just a few days ago), Luc Peters' "Record Player: Christian Marclay" (available for streaming at ubuweb), Emmon Hassan's "Guitarkadia Presents: Chasing Buster Keaton", Angélique Bosio's "Llik Yr Idols", Olivier Assayas' "Noise: A Film By Olivier Assayas" (including clips of live performances by Text Of Light, and Mirror/Dash among others), "Send And Receive: Ten Years Of Sound", and so on and so forth.... Another one which interests me is Stuart Ginsberg's "Wednesdays at A's-A documentary about Arleen Schloss" even though it's currently on post-production. Keeping in mind that Sonic Youth as a live act pretty much started at A's, I think there might be some nice treats included for Sonic Youth fans as well as for those interested in Arleen Schloss' art, but who knows...