View Single Post
Old 11.08.2009, 12:11 PM   #57
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
I agree they've got some all out obnoxious cock-rock anthems, and that tends to be their most popular, but some of their mellow stuff is just straight great songwriting. If legitimately you're turned off by the testosterone driven stuff, check out these fem-tastic ones .... seriously

• Going to California
• Tangerine
• That's the way
• The Rain Song

As far I can recall too, they might have been the first band to really coin the signature song-writing style where they start mellow and pretty and then unload to a heavy part. How many rock bands do this today, all of them? samples of theirs are:

Stairway to Heaven
Over The Hills and Far Away
Ramble On, among others......

are we becoming such music snobs that we ignorantly shun the pioneers of music of their generations? What's next, Beatles overrated? Nirvana sucks?

Good post. (Although, some will say that about Beatles and Nirvana.)

I voted no, but I do accept that Zep has done some great stuff. I love Kashmir (precisely because it is so ott hahaha?) and a lot of the Houses Of The Holy lp. But there's a lot of wankery / posing in this band. They must have inspired Spinal Tap? I think that 1976 lp, (forget the name, Achilles Last Stand is on it) is fucking awful. A lot of the early stuff is so heavy handed, Led Zepellin indeed. At least the last lp was ballsy....in that they tried a new sound. The middle solo thing of All Of My Love is actually quite fucking great, and I've always been able to whistle it, note perfect, hahaha...