View Single Post
Old 01.30.2011, 09:37 PM   #13950
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
modern day yakuza? Besides Miike's stuff (DEAD OR ALIVE 1-2, DEADLY OUTLAW REEKAH, FUDOH, YAKUZA DEMON), Aoyanam's stuff (like 2 Punks, which is great!), and Kitano's (OUTRAGE... you've already see SONATINE/HANABI/BOILING POINT/VIOLENT COP, probably) stuff? Check out:

GONIN is one of my favorite films of all time, it's about 7 dudes ripping off the yakuza.

Past 10 years.. so that excludes, like, Yakuza Papers... if you haven't seen those 5 films, BATTLES WITH HONOR AND HUMANITY.. those are essential, as is any Nikkatsu stuff you can find. Criterion released NIKKATSU NOIR, a great 5-movie set you can get off of amazon for like $5. RUSTY KNIFE and TAKE AIM AT THE POLICE VAN is in it.

Sorry, gotta mention one more old film...

Goddamn, I LOVE Pale Flower (also, a big inspiration on Scorsese, if that matters). It's more "noir" than yakuza, though it is a yakuza film, and great at that.

Again, I know you know BRANDED TO KILL and shit... but yeah.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|