Thread: Joey Santiago
View Single Post
Old 01.08.2009, 12:32 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, if you'd been playing the exact same songs for 20 years.... yeah.

I noticed on that one Pixies documentary, on the special features, there is a deleted scene where Joey's face lights up at the prospect of doing a new album. I think he just reluctantly did the reunion and is probably bored of playing songs he can play in his sleep.

Joey is a very interesting guitarist, because he is both at once extremely flashy and at the same time very restrained. Almost everything he plays is a really flashy, bright, in-your-face, exciting lead guitar riff. Really brilliant. Yet, somehow, he doesn't play all the time and doesn't feel the need to indulge (except on "Vamos", really); that's the sign of a great musician... knowing when not to play. For my money, his greatest guitar playing is in "Brick is Red". That's just a masterpiece. But then you listen to something like "Cactus", the simplest song in the world, on the same album, and it's brilliant too. He really knew what he was doing.

Anyway...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|