View Single Post
Old 12.05.2016, 12:06 PM   #20136
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it's that I don't care about it's concerns. It is a cultural thing. I do not enjoy much Brit-written sci-fi either. no biggie. don't find it or Dr. Who or Red Dwarf entertaining. I hate most Spanish movies too, concerned so much with their bullshit romantic fatalism and shit. fuck spanish movies.

I kinda get where you're coming from actually. The regional and cultural elements of genre books/films/tv can make it tough to enjoy the story if you're not already big on the culture itself. Oddly, I kinda feel this way about skme Japanese horror. A lot of it just seems to come from a place that doesn't interest me, and maybe makes me a bit uncomfortable at times. It's not a strict thing, but I'm somewhat out off by some of the tropes, particularly with regard to women, school girls, etc.

I've always been a bit of a Anglophile. Grew up on Beatles, Doctor Who and Monty Python. That's not to say I love all the BBC stuff (never been a Red Dwarf fan either) but I have always kind of had a thing for the culture. You know, Tolkien and Douglas Adams and all that. Pip pip, cheerio! "I've got blisters on my fingers!" etc.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|