View Single Post
Old 10.18.2014, 03:36 PM   #86
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
They made it like every real rock artist should made it. Even Waits it´s not "rock"-artist, I really wonder why he took that induction. Well maybe he just was interested at see that circus-ceremony.

Yeah I don't get the Waits thing. I highly doubt that most living, breathing people could listen to Mule Variations from start to finish without losing their minds.

I remember when that record came out. My father bought it because of a Rolling Stone review he read... he was a fan of Heart of Satrday Night and found everything else totally repulsive prior to this. When he did buy the album, he listened to "Big in Japan" a couple times and then it gathered dust on his shelf until finally I just took it from him. I told him, of course, but he had to admit he didn't care. He just saw a "comeback" album from an old guy like him and thoight "well, this should be pleasant!" ... Then he basically faked liking it until it became a souvenir.

He did the same thing with Mirror Ball and Broken Arrow by Neil Young, and The Ghost of Tom Joad by Springsteen, and I still have all of them.

Waits was probably only inducted because Mule Variations caught him a Grammy nomination, and some industry heads thought it would be appropriate. But Waits is a crazy motherfucker, and his music has never really been appreciated by the mainstream. Like Beefheart, he's a cult anti-icon; not a rock star.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|