View Single Post
Old 02.16.2014, 08:03 PM   #42
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
As someone who got into Sonic Youth pretty late: RR actually was the first of their albums that I bought. And as such it will always occupy a special place in my heart.

While I wouldn't call it one of their best albums, I still stand in its defense. The album has a 90s-vibe to it, which was very much to my liking back in 06' since I had a huge soft-spot for angsty 90s music back then (And I still have to a certain degree). 'Reena' was my perfect introduction to Kim's cold, crooning voice. 'Rats' is a pretty sweet tune that I still listen to every now and then. I dig the bluesy, smoke-filled atmosphere it emits. And what can I say about 'Pink Steam' that hasn't been said before? Most of the other tracks aren't bad either. The sole definite misstep in my opinion was 'Sleeping Around'.

On topic: Yes, it seems like Thurston's songwriting skills are waning. But I wouldn't say it bothers me too much. Haven't been up to date about his output in quite some time and it seems like I didn't miss out on much.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|