Thread: Frank Zappa
View Single Post
Old 07.05.2006, 02:29 PM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
i think theres a lot of great musicians who could/could have been fucking AMAZING
but they were handicapped because they wrote really funny/funky/unserious material
but they're fucking amazing artists either way

and shit, who gives a rats ass.
ween is on my top 5
and they are hardly serious at all

what am i saying?
man im going to shut up

Ah. Now this is pretty spot on. I think Zappa is, clearly, very talented. But, for me, anyone who feels the need to take the piss out of other genres is lacking in imagination of their own. See also 'ironic' ska-punk covers of pop songs. The pop songs are always better, every single time. It just seems like the kid in class who just takes the piss out of everything, and then one day everyone realises that he doesn't actually have anything to contribute, and everyone ends up hating him.

The music is entirely contingent to one appreciation of music, ie, that which is 'opposed' to so-called saccharine 'pop'. The problem is, as any classics student will tell you, any parody only serves to strengthen the greatness of the original. Insofar as you give air-time to a 'parody', you are thereby measured, after the 'joke' has disappeared, next to the (always better and broader) corpus of the parodied. There is room for humour in music, it's entirely necessary. But that humour cannot be in opposition to other things, it must be funny in and of itself in order to cast itself free from its own critique.

Again, I really should stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|