View Single Post
Old 12.15.2015, 11:05 AM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
OG Trek was a product of it's time. It had no budget, and therefore spent its energy on story and plot. I loved it as a kid (in reruns), and Spock is the ultimate ideal for a human being who seeks to detach themselves from animalistic emotions. To this day he is analytical people's hero.

The Twilight Zone was an amazing anthology. I loved that show too.

Trek TNG was awesome (after that sad first season) because it did not deal with the same plots as the original, where the humans were always fish out of water. TNG dealt with the intellectual rigors of exploration, and the diplomacy needed to maintain peace in a universe populated by varying races with varying ideals.

my personal fave is Deep Space Nine. I have loved it ever since it came out, and I re-watched the whole thing with my wife when it appeared on the Netflix. Of all the Trek, DS9 is the one that most explored the parts of interstellar exploration that are seen as "negative," the loneliness, isolation, fear, jingoism, racisms, death, war, intergalactic war nonetheless, PTSD, etc. Whereas OG Trek was about enlightened humans coming together to explore the Universe, and TNG was about the power of humanity to stick by what is ethical and good and proper and RIGHT, Deep Space Nine is about the losses and burdens that each being must suffer because of their decisions.

Every character, even the dozens of minor ones, had character arcs and suffered great losses, and had to deal with them and continue living and working. It was amazing.